Greenlawn-Centerport Historical Association
The area, originally known as Oldfields, was settled in the early 1800’s by farmers. The extension of the Long Island Railroad through the farmlands in 1867-1868, provided the impetus for the development of a profitable pickle and cabbage industry, as well as the growth of the community and many new year-round residents. The little community that grew around the depot developed its own identity and changed its name to Greenlawn. Today, houses cover the old farmlands and yet Greenlawn, with one main street of small shops, a railroad crossing that halts traffic throughout the day and many historical buildings, still retains its small-town charm.
(Adapted from Greenlawn: A Long Island Hamlet, Dougher, Louise and Carol Bloomgarden. Clarleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2000)